Scottish Association of Landlords terms and conditions online purchase of membership, events and courses and website usage
Online purchase of membership, events and courses
The following terms apply to your use of Scottish Association of Landlords’ services. These are additional to and supplement our general website terms and conditions which also apply.
If you have any questions concerning the service, please contact us.
- Landlord membership costs £100 (paid by card, cheque or BACS) or £95 (by direct debit) per year and is suitable for landlords plus their spouse or partner resident at the same home address where only the named landlord or spouse/partner will use the SAL member services (free helpline, local and national events, discount landlord insurance, specialist training etc.). One fee covers the landlord and spouse or partner resident at the same home address. Landlord membership is for landlords who let out properties they own. If you let properties which belong to others, Council of Letting Agents (CLA) membership is required.
- Council of Letting Agents membership costs £350 (paid by card, cheque or BACS) or £325 (paid by direct debit) per annum and is suitable for companies or organisations where more than one staff member will use the SAL member services. One fee covers up to 6 member agent staff, all based in one premises. Multiple memberships can be held for any premises where more than 6 members of staff require to use SAL members services. Multiple branch membership packages are also available for companies with more than one office in Scotland. Any entity which requires to register as a letting agent in Scotland and wishes to be a member of SAL requires Council of Letting Agents membership.
- Business membership costs £350 (paid by card, cheque or BACS) or £325 (paid by direct debit) and is suitable for professional landlords where more than one staff member will use the SAL member services or where the company is the property owner and the member services will be used by the company staff.
- Events and training courses cost in the range of £0 – £200 per attendee. Prices may be different for members and non-members. Prices are shown in landlord event listings.
We will start to process your order on receipt.
Included in membership package:
Access to online downloads of forms and factsheets, access to member helpline on a call back basis, subscription to member magazine, regular enews updates.
SAL Council of Letting Agents
Those required to register as a letting agent in Scotland, must choose our CLA membership package when joining SAL
CLA members must be registered letting agents and comply with the Scottish Government Letting Agent Code of Practice
In paying the fee to apply for membership of the SAL Council of Letting Agents you will have made a declaration online or verbally that your company is registered as a letting agent in Scotland. This declaration will be verified on the next working day using https://lettingagentregistration.gov.scot/ and if there is no registration found for your company, the membership will be cancelled and the membership fee will be refunded.
The standard membership period is 12 months from date of joining.
When you join Scottish Association of Landlords online you have a short ‘cooling off period’ in which you can cancel your membership. The opportunity to cancel finishes after 14 days or directly after accessing membership benefits online – whichever occurs soonest.
The Scottish Association of Landlords reserves the right to charge for membership services provided at your request (e.g. access to our membership helpline service by telephone and/or email) during the cancellation period.
In the case of purchase of the “Get Registered Pack” * detailed below the pack is non refundable if any service included in the pack is used.
If you wish to cancel your membership or purchase of the Get Registered Pack you are required to confirm the following details in writing including by email to our office:
To Scottish Association of Landlords Hopetoun Gate, 8b McDonald Road, Edinburgh EH7 4LZ firstname.lastname@example.org I/We [insert you name(s)] cancel my/our membership [insert membership number] on [insert date].
*Get Registered Pack
The price is £495 paid by card. There is no direct debit discount available for this product.
In purchasing the Get Registered Pack, please be aware if any of the included services are used, the cooling off period does not apply and there will be no refund of any part of the fee. The Get Registered Pack does not include any membership of the Scottish Association of Landlords.
The information that we are required to give in our T&Cs is as follows:
Telephone 0131 564 0100
Mail (registered office)
Scottish Association of Landlords
8b McDonald Road
The Scottish Association of Landlords (SAL) is committed to providing high-quality customer services.
We value complaints and use information from them to help us improve our services.
If something goes wrong or you are dissatisfied with our services, please tell us.
What is a complaint?
We regard a complaint as any expression of dissatisfaction about our action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by us or on our behalf.
What can I complain about?
You can complain about things like:
• delays in responding to your enquiries and requests
• failure to provide a service
• our standard of service
• treatment by or attitude of a member of staff
How do I complain?
You can complain by phone, in writing or by email.
When complaining, tell us:
• your full name and address
• as much as you can about the complaint
• what has gone wrong
• how you want us to resolve the matter.
What happens when I have complained?
We will always tell you who is dealing with your complaint. Our complaints procedure has two stages:
Stage 1 – frontline resolution
We aim to resolve complaints quickly and close to where we provided the service. This could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong, and immediate action to resolve the problem.
We will give you our decision at stage 1 in five working days or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances.
If we can’t resolve your complaint at this stage, we will explain why. If you are still dissatisfied you can ask for your complaint to be investigated further through stage 2. You may choose to do this immediately or some time after you get our initial response. We can help you with making this request.
Stage 2 – investigation
Stage 2 deals with complaints that have not been resolved at stage 1 and those that are complex and require detailed investigation.
When using stage 2 we will:
• acknowledge receipt of your complaint within three working days
• where appropriate, discuss your complaint with you to understand why you remain dissatisfied and what outcome you are looking for
• give you a full response to the complaint as soon as possible and within 20 working days.
If our investigation will take longer than 20 working days, we will tell you. We will agree revised time limits with you and keep you updated on progress.
Scottish Association of Landlords
8b McDonald Road
0131 564 0100
If you are unhappy with how your complaint has been handled, you can complain to the European Online Dispute Resolution platform. Their UK Nation Representative can be contacted at:
1 Sylvan Court, Sylvan Way, Southfields Business Park, Basildon
SS15 6TH Essex
Tel: +44 3456 089579 +44 1268 582225 email: email@example.com
We do not sell physical items over the web, and as such do not deal with shipping.
When you purchase event or training places over the web, you will be sent an email confirmation of your purchase and email(s) containing joining information for the event, course or conference. You should take a copy of this information to the event, course or conference.
Membership prices include delivery of member information including our magazine Landlord Focus, which will be posted to your account address three times a year.
Payment and refunds
In providing payment card details, you confirm that you are authorised to use the card and authorise us to take payment in full for the applicable prescription charges, postage and packing charges and any other charges that become due to us under these terms. Refunds, if applicable, will only be made using the payment gateway and/or card originally used for payment.
Non-availability/suitability of goods and services
If any of the services you wish to purchase are not available we will try to contact you using the information in your registration and refund any amounts paid.
Delivery of membership information
We aim to process memberships within three business days of the day we receive the registration and payment. You acknowledge and accept that we have no control over the postal system and we have no liability in respect of items that are not received by you after we have despatched them. In the event that the packaging is opened after delivery, we will have no liability to you for lost or damaged items or for what third parties find out about you as a result.
Notification of errors
You should check the materials and receipts provided to you carefully and promptly upon receipt. If you believe there may have been an error, you should contact us immediately.
How information about you is shared
We will send you information about our services and events, as well as those of selected third parties, by post, telephone and email. If you do not wish to receive this information in these formats then you can update your requirements by signing in to your member account. By signing into your member account you can choose how you wish to receive information and whether you agree to your information being shared with other companies so that they may send you information about relevant products and services, by post, telephone and email.
If you need any further information please write to us at SAL, Hopetoun Gate, 8b McDonald Road, Edinburgh EH7 4LZ or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms and conditions for website usage
The term ‘Scottish Association of Landlords’ or ‘us’ or ‘we’ refers to the owner of the website whose registered office is Scottish Association of Landlords, Hopetoun Gate, 8b McDonald Road, Edinburgh EH7 4LZ.
Our company registration number is SC216764. The term ‘you’ refers to the user or viewer of our website. If you need any information or have a complaint about this website or any of our services please contact us by one of the following methods:
Telephone 0131 564 0100
Scottish Association of Landlords
Mail (registered office)
Scottish Association of Landlords, Hopetoun Gate, 8b McDonald Road Edinburgh EH7 4LZ
• The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
• Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
• Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
• This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
• All trade marks reproduced in this website which are not the property of, or licensed to, the operator are acknowledged on the website.
• Unauthorised use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
• From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
• You may not create a link to this website from another website or document without ‘Scottish Association of Landlords’ prior written consent.
• Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of England, Scotland and Wales
Visitors to this website are required to join as a member of the organisation in order to use some of its facilities.
New and renewing membership applications are subject to our membership approval process which will happen during office hours. Please assume your membership has been approved unless you hear to the contrary within fourteen days.
Our approval process includes checking our records for any issue that could prevent any person or corporate entity from being a member of the association. This may include a check on any history of upheld complaints or any outstanding compliance issues which require to be addressed before application. It may also include checking that the correct membership package has been purchased for the type of business the member operates.
If there is any reason to refuse membership you will be contacted with this and your payment refunded.
Please note when booking events, these terms include any additional terms which may be specified in the event details. Each person has to accept these terms as part of the checkout process by ticking the box which states ‘I have read and agree to the website terms & conditions’.
Username and passwords
During the registration process you may be allocated, or invited to choose, your own username and password which will be unique to you. You are responsible for keeping your username and password confidential and for ensuring that they are not used by any other person.
Offers, promotions, software and downloads
The Scottish Association of Landlords may occasionally promote their goods or services on this website or through other direct marketing initiatives or may make software and other materials available for you to purchase or download. We never share, without your prior consent, or sell member details with any third parties. Third parties may advertise on our site. Whilst we try to encourage third parties to offer good quality products, and services and materials at competitive prices we have no control over them or other third parties, we do not endorse the products or services they offer, or give you any assurance that they will be suitable for your needs. It is your responsibility to satisfy yourself in this regard and we have no liability in connection with the same.
Ownership of materials and licence terms
This website, the materials and software on it, or provided to you through it are protected by copyright, trade mark and other intellectual property rights and laws throughout the world and are owned by, or are licensed to the Scottish Association of Landlords. You are permitted to display the materials on this website on a computer screen and, save for restricted access documents, to download and print a hard copy for your personal use or for obtaining products or services from us provided you do not alter or remove any of the content or any part of the website without our express permission to do so and that you do not change or delete any copyright, trade mark or other proprietary notices.
You agree not to:
• copy, reproduce, store (in any medium or format), distribute, transmit, modify, create derivate works from all or any part of this website or the materials or software on it, or provided to you through it without our prior written consent (which may be given or withheld in our absolute discretion). However, you may assume our consent to modify and reproduce the Member Resources and templates which are designed for this purpose.
• use this website or any of the materials or software on it, or provided to you through it, for:
– any unlawful purpose or in contravention of applicable law
– commercial exploitation without our prior written consent
– any purpose or in any manner that may give a false or misleading impression of us, our staff or our services
• use, upload or transmit
– any material that is defamatory, offensive, obscene or otherwise unlawful, or which may cause offence or distress or which may affect or infringe the rights of any other person
– any device, software, file or mechanism which may interfere with the proper operation of this website or our systems
• establish a link to this website from any other website, intranet or extranet site without our prior written consent
• decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer (or attempt to do any of them) any of the software or other materials provided on or through this website
• do anything that may interfere with or disrupt this website or our service
• encourage or permit others to do any of the above
IN THE EVENT THAT YOU DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE ABOVE RESTRICTIONS, ANY PERSON AFFECTED BY YOUR ACTIONS MAY BRING A CLAIM AGAINST YOU AND/OR THE SCOTTISH ASSOCIATION OF LANDLORDS. WE WILL PURSUE A CLAIM AGAINST YOU FOR ANY LOSSES AND COSTS (INCLUDING LEGAL COSTS) WE MAY SUFFER AS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS
Suitability of materials
We do not give any assurance that the materials provided or available to you on or through this website are suitable for your requirements or that they will be secure, error or virus free and we will have no liability in respect of those materials.
This website is provided free of charge and we make no guarantee that it will be uninterrupted or error free. We reserve the right to modify, suspend or withdraw the whole or any part of the website or any of its content at any time without notice and without incurring any liability.
Links from this website
We may, from time to time, provide links from this website to websites that are owned and controlled by third parties. These links are provided only for your convenience and we have no control over and will have no liability in respect of those websites.
We may monitor activity and content on this website and may take any action we consider appropriate if we suspect you may be in breach of these Terms and Conditions including suspending, attaching conditions to or terminating your access and/or notifying the authorities or relevant regulators of your activities.
Accuracy of information
We take care to ensure that all information available on our website about our business, services and any products mentioned is accurate. However, these are continually developing and, occasionally, the information may be out of date. Commercial and legal practice change frequently and the content on this website, in of any newsletters and in other items offering guidance have been prepared for general interest only and are not a substitute for specific legal or other professional advice and should not be read or used as such. For accurate up-to-date information you should contact our helpline directly on 0131 564 0100.
THE SCOTTISH ASSOCIATION OF LANDLORDS DOES NOT WARRANT OR REPRESENT THAT THE MATERIAL ON THIS WEBSITE IS ACCURATE, COMPLETE OR CURRENT OR THAT THE WEBSITE WILL BE FREE OF DEFECTS OR VIRUSES.
NOTHING CONTAINED IN THE PAGES OF THIS WEBSITE SHOULD BE CONSTRUED AS COMMERCIAL, LEGAL OR OTHER PROFESSIONAL ADVICE. DETAILED PROFESSIONAL ADVICE SHOULD BE OBTAINED BEFORE TAKING OR REFRAINING FROM ANY ACTION BASED ON ANY OF THE INFORMATION OR MATERIAL CONTAINED IN THIS WEBSITE OR ANY COMMUNICATIONS PROVIDED TO YOU AS A RESULT OF YOUR REGISTRATION.
Use of this website outside Scotland
The Scottish Association of Landlords makes no claims or representations that any or all of the content of this website may be lawfully viewed or downloaded outside Scotland and unless otherwise specifically stated, the content and this website is directed solely at users who access this website from Scotland.
IF YOU CHOOSE TO ACCESS THE WEBSITE FROM OUTSIDE SCOTLAND, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK AND ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLIANCE WITH THE LAWS OF YOUR JURISDICTION.
Liability for our mistakes
WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE (IN CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) WHERE:
(A) THERE IS NO BREACH OF A LEGAL DUTY OF CARE OWED TO YOU BY US;
(B) THE LOSS OR DAMAGE IS NOT A REASONABLY FORESEEABLE RESULT OF ANY SUCH BREACH; OR
(C) ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OR INCREASE IN LOSS OR DAMAGE RESULTS FROM A BREACH BY YOU OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
NOTHING IN THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS EXCLUDES OR LIMITS OUR LIABILITY FOR FRAUDULENT MISREPRESENTATION OR FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY CAUSED BY OUR NEGLIGENCE.
NOTHING IN THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS SHALL AFFECT YOUR STATUTORY RIGHTS
Third party rights
Nothing in these Terms and Conditions is intended to nor shall it confer a benefit on any third party under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 and a person who is not a party to these Terms and Conditions has no rights to enforce them.
No delay or decision not to enforce rights under these terms and conditions will constitute a waiver of the right to do so and will not affect rights in relation to any subsequent breach.
These Terms and Conditions are subject to the laws of Scotland and each of us hereby submits to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts.
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AT ANY TIME. THE NEW VERSION WILL BE POSTED ON THIS WEBSITE AND WILL TAKE EFFECT IMMEDIATELY UPON POSTING
IF YOU USE THE WEBSITE AFTER THE NEW TERMS AND CONDITIONS HAVE COME INTO EFFECT, YOU WILL BE INDICATING YOUR AGREEMENT TO BE BOUND BY THE NEW TERMS AND CONDITIONS