Homes for Ukraine

Further information is now available on how landlords and tenants in the Scottish private rented sector can offer homes to those escaping conflict in Ukraine. Anyone interested in registering for the scheme can submit their details at They will then be kept updated and provided with guidance on the checks which will be undertaken on both hosts and people seeking to come to the UK, information around the status of the arrangement hosts will be entering into (including expected accommodation standards) and the role of the local council in providing wider support.

Anyone in the UK with a spare room, or separate self-contained accommodation that is unoccupied can come forward to help. Accommodation must be available for at least 6 months, be fit for people to live in, and suitable for the number of people to be accommodated (taking account of HMO and overcrowding legislation).

Hosts should not charge any rent. The government is offering an optional ‘thank you’ payment of £350 per month to people who can accommodate one or more households. The ‘thank you’ payment is limited to one payment per residential address. This payment will be tax free and should not affect the host’s entitlement to benefits or council tax status. Any council tax discounts the host household currently benefits from will not be affected if they host a Ukrainian household in their home.

Payments will continue for as long as accommodation is provided and for up to 12 months. The payment will be made in arrears. Prior to payment, eligibility checks will be carried out which will include a visit to the property. The property must be safe, heated and free from health hazards, and give the guests adequate access to bathroom and kitchen facilities.

Landlords considering offering their property through the scheme should check that their mortgage and insurance providers are agreeable to the proposed arrangement. Tenants considering hosting a Ukrainian household through the scheme should seek consent from their landlord.

If for any reason you need to end the sponsorship arrangement early, you should inform your local council as soon as possible. Your local council will then step in to help guests to find alternative accommodation.

Further guidance on the scheme can be found here.