Scottish Association of Landlords terms and conditions online purchase of membership, events and courses and website usage
Online purchase of membership, events and courses
The following terms apply to your use of Scottish Association of Landlords’ services. These are additional to and supplement our general website terms and conditions which also apply.
If you have any questions concerning the service, please contact us.
- Individual membership costs £95 per year and is suitable for individuals and couples at the same address where only the named individual or partner will use the SAL member services (free helpline, local and national events, discount landlord insurance, specialist training etc.)
- Corporate membership costs £325 per annum and is suitable for companies or organisations where more than one staff member will use the SAL member services.
- Events and training courses cost in the range of £0 - £200 per attendee. Prices may be different for members and non-members. Prices are shown in individual event listings.
We will start to process your order on receipt.
If you wish to cancel an order for a membership you should contact us promptly at our office and we will assist. We will have begun to process the service 24 hrs after your order is received, and you agree that after this date, we will have begun the service at your request and that you will have no rights to cancel the order under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 or otherwise.
Consumers have the right to cancel orders for events or training places or other services that have been placed using this website for up to 7 working days after the date on which the order is placed except after the event has taken place. To exercise this right, you should contact us on:
Telephone 0131 564 0100
Mail (registered office)
Scottish Association of Landlords
8b McDonald Road
We do not sell physical items over the web, and as such do not deal with shipping.
When you purchase event or training places over the web, you will be sent an email confirmation of your purchase and email(s) containing joining information for the event, course or conference. You should take a copy of this information to the event, course or conference.
Membership prices include delivery of member information including our magazine Landlord Focus, which will be posted to your account address three times a year.
Payment and refunds
In providing payment card details, you confirm that you are authorised to use the card and authorise us to take payment in full for the applicable prescription charges, postage and packing charges and any other charges that become due to us under these terms. Refunds, if applicable, will only be made using the payment gateway and/or card originally used for payment.
Non-availability/suitability of goods and services
If any of the services you wish to purchase are not available we will try to contact you using the information in your registration and refund any amounts paid.
Delivery of membership information
We aim to process memberships within three business days of the day we receive the registration and payment. You acknowledge and accept that we have no control over the postal system and we have no liability in respect of items that are not received by you after we have despatched them. In the event that the packaging is opened after delivery, we will have no liability to you for lost or damaged items or for what third parties find out about you as a result.
Notification of errors
You should check the materials and receipts provided to you carefully and promptly upon receipt. If you believe there may have been an error, you should contact us immediately.
Terms and conditions for website usage
The term 'Scottish Association of Landlords' or 'us' or 'we' refers to the owner of the website whose registered office is Scottish Association of Landlords, Hopetoun Gate, 8b McDonald Road, Edinburgh EH7 4LZ.
Our company registration number is SC216764. The term 'you' refers to the user or viewer of our website. If you need any information or have a complaint about this website or any of our services please contact us by one of the following methods:
Telephone 0131 564 0100
Scottish Association of Landlords
Mail (registered office) Scottish Association of Landlords, Hopetoun Gate, 8b McDonald Road Edinburgh EH7 4LZ
• The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
• Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
• Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
• This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
• All trade marks reproduced in this website which are not the property of, or licensed to, the operator are acknowledged on the website.
• Unauthorised use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
• From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
• You may not create a link to this website from another website or document without 'Scottish Association of Landlords' prior written consent.
• Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of England, Scotland and Wales
Visitors to this website are required to join as a member of the organisation in order to use some of its facilities.
Username and passwords
During the registration process you may be allocated, or invited to choose, your own username and password which will be unique to you. You are responsible for keeping your username and password confidential and for ensuring that they are not used by any other person.
Offers, promotions, software and downloads
The Scottish Association of Landlords may occasionally promote their goods or services on this website or through other direct marketing initiatives or may make software and other materials available for you to purchase or download. We never share or sell member details with any third parties. Third parties may advertise on our site. Whilst we try to encourage third parties to offer good quality products, and services and materials at competitive prices we have no control over them or other third parties, we do not endorse the products or services they offer, or give you any assurance that they will be suitable for your needs. It is your responsibility to satisfy yourself in this regard and we have no liability in connection with the same.
Ownership of materials and licence terms
This website, the materials and software on it, or provided to you through it are protected by copyright, trade mark and other intellectual property rights and laws throughout the world and are owned by, or are licensed to the Scottish Association of Landlords. You are permitted to display the materials on this website on a computer screen and, save for restricted access documents, to download and print a hard copy for your personal use or for obtaining products or services from us provided you do not alter or remove any of the content or any part of the website without our express permission to do so and that you do not change or delete any copyright, trade mark or other proprietary notices.
You agree not to:
• copy, reproduce, store (in any medium or format), distribute, transmit, modify, create derivate works from all or any part of this website or the materials or software on it, or provided to you through it without our prior written consent (which may be given or withheld in our absolute discretion). However, you may assume our consent to modify and reproduce the Member Resources and templates which are designed for this purpose.
• use this website or any of the materials or software on it, or provided to you through it, for:
- any unlawful purpose or in contravention of applicable law
- commercial exploitation without our prior written consent
- any purpose or in any manner that may give a false or misleading impression of us, our staff or our services
• use, upload or transmit
- any material that is defamatory, offensive, obscene or otherwise unlawful, or which may cause offence or distress or which may affect or infringe the rights of any other person
- any device, software, file or mechanism which may interfere with the proper operation of this website or our systems
• establish a link to this website from any other website, intranet or extranet site without our prior written consent
• decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer (or attempt to do any of them) any of the software or other materials provided on or through this website
• do anything that may interfere with or disrupt this website or our service
• encourage or permit others to do any of the above
IN THE EVENT THAT YOU DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE ABOVE RESTRICTIONS, ANY PERSON AFFECTED BY YOUR ACTIONS MAY BRING A CLAIM AGAINST YOU AND/OR THE SCOTTISH ASSOCIATION OF LANDLORDS. WE WILL PURSUE A CLAIM AGAINST YOU FOR ANY LOSSES AND COSTS (INCLUDING LEGAL COSTS) WE MAY SUFFER AS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS
Suitability of materials
We do not give any assurance that the materials provided or available to you on or through this website are suitable for your requirements or that they will be secure, error or virus free and we will have no liability in respect of those materials.
This website is provided free of charge and we make no guarantee that it will be uninterrupted or error free. We reserve the right to modify, suspend or withdraw the whole or any part of the website or any of its content at any time without notice and without incurring any liability.
Links from this website
We may, from time to time, provide links from this website to websites that are owned and controlled by third parties. These links are provided only for your convenience and we have no control over and will have no liability in respect of those websites.
We may monitor activity and content on this website and may take any action we consider appropriate if we suspect you may be in breach of these Terms and Conditions including suspending, attaching conditions to or terminating your access and/or notifying the authorities or relevant regulators of your activities.
Accuracy of information
We take care to ensure that all information available on our website about our business, services and any products mentioned is accurate. However, these are continually developing and, occasionally, the information may be out of date. Commercial and legal practice change frequently and the content on this website, in of any newsletters and in other items offering guidance have been prepared for general interest only and are not a substitute for specific legal or other professional advice and should not be read or used as such. For accurate up-to-date information you should contact our helpline directly on 0131 564 0100.
THE SCOTTISH ASSOCIATION OF LANDLORDS DOES NOT WARRANT OR REPRESENT THAT THE MATERIAL ON THIS WEBSITE IS ACCURATE, COMPLETE OR CURRENT OR THAT THE WEBSITE WILL BE FREE OF DEFECTS OR VIRUSES.
NOTHING CONTAINED IN THE PAGES OF THIS WEBSITE SHOULD BE CONSTRUED AS COMMERCIAL, LEGAL OR OTHER PROFESSIONAL ADVICE. DETAILED PROFESSIONAL ADVICE SHOULD BE OBTAINED BEFORE TAKING OR REFRAINING FROM ANY ACTION BASED ON ANY OF THE INFORMATION OR MATERIAL CONTAINED IN THIS WEBSITE OR ANY COMMUNICATIONS PROVIDED TO YOU AS A RESULT OF YOUR REGISTRATION.
Use of this website outside Scotland
The Scottish Association of Landlords makes no claims or representations that any or all of the content of this website may be lawfully viewed or downloaded outside Scotland and unless otherwise specifically stated, the content and this website is directed solely at users who access this website from Scotland.
IF YOU CHOOSE TO ACCESS THE WEBSITE FROM OUTSIDE SCOTLAND, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK AND ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLIANCE WITH THE LAWS OF YOUR JURISDICTION.
Liability for our mistakes
WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE (IN CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) WHERE:
(A) THERE IS NO BREACH OF A LEGAL DUTY OF CARE OWED TO YOU BY US;
(B) THE LOSS OR DAMAGE IS NOT A REASONABLY FORESEEABLE RESULT OF ANY SUCH BREACH; OR
(C) ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OR INCREASE IN LOSS OR DAMAGE RESULTS FROM A BREACH BY YOU OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
NOTHING IN THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS EXCLUDES OR LIMITS OUR LIABILITY FOR FRAUDULENT MISREPRESENTATION OR FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY CAUSED BY OUR NEGLIGENCE.
NOTHING IN THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS SHALL AFFECT YOUR STATUTORY RIGHTS
Third party rights
Nothing in these Terms and Conditions is intended to nor shall it confer a benefit on any third party under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 and a person who is not a party to these Terms and Conditions has no rights to enforce them.
No delay or decision not to enforce rights under these terms and conditions will constitute a waiver of the right to do so and will not affect rights in relation to any subsequent breach.
These Terms and Conditions are subject to the laws of Scotland and each of us hereby submits to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts.
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AT ANY TIME. THE NEW VERSION WILL BE POSTED ON THIS WEBSITE AND WILL TAKE EFFECT IMMEDIATELY UPON POSTING
IF YOU USE THE WEBSITE AFTER THE NEW TERMS AND CONDITIONS HAVE COME INTO EFFECT, YOU WILL BE INDICATING YOUR AGREEMENT TO BE BOUND BY THE NEW TERMS AND CONDITIONS